• Joey Logano started eighth and finished 34th after a late-race multi-vehicle collision in Sunday afternoon’s Verizon 200 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Logano ran inside the top-10 for the majority of the race with No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Mustang, making the end result even more disappointing.
• Logano ran steadily in the top-10 from the drop of the green flag with the team electing to pit at lap 12, prior to the end of Stage 1. Logano would cycle back up to the sixth position to begin the second stage as cars who remained on the track finally hit pit road.
• Using a strong restart to begin Stage 2, Logano moved into the second position. Unfortunately, while running in the third position, Logano’s Shell-Pennzoil Mustang wheel hopped on entry to turn 7, resulting in a spin. The team elected to pit from the 11th position prior to the end of the second stage.
• In the final stage, Logano raced inside the top-10 where he’d spent a majority of the afternoon, running as high as sixth as the field approached the window to make the final stop of the event. Logano hit pit road at lap 55 from the seventh position for four tires, fuel and air pressure changes on all four corners of the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Mustang.
• A late caution would bring the field to pit road for a final stop with the Shell-Pennzoil crew grabbing three positions on the sequence. Logano was then collected in a late-race, multi-vehicle incident while running inside the top-five, ending the day for the team with a disappointing 34th-place result.
“Yeah, I am okay. Thank God those tire packs were there. The hit wasn’t that hard at all. The tires absorbed a lot of it. I don’t believe in luck but that time I feel like it was just bad luck. Wrong place at the wrong time and unfortunately it ended our day. We had a decent run coming to us and maybe a top-five finish for our Shell Pennzoil Mustang and the next thing I knew I was airborne and headed to the wall. I had a lot of time to think about it. I was just along for the ride as a passenger knowing what the end result was going to be. All the fans were cheering right there. They were happy to see me get out which was good do see. It will be an exciting finish to watch on TV I guess.”